QIF file editing tool
- /kĭf kĭf/
- adj. inv. arabic slang (كيف) for “it’s all the same”.
- n. CLI tool for categorizing qif files. It can make all the difference.
CLI tool to enrich your QIF files transactions with category information, hence cutting down import time from minutes to mere seconds.
QIF is a format widely used by personal money management software such as GnuCash to import information. Yet, the import process is particularly tedious as it require to manually pair the transactions contained in the file with categories (or “accounts” for double-entry bookkeeping systems).
qifqif augment your qif files by adding a category line for each transaction, that additional information can then be used by accounting software to perform automatic QIF imports. It picks categories by searching for predefined keywords in transactions descriptions lines and by repeating choices you previously made regarding similar transactions.
- Blazing fast edits: thanks to well-thought-out defaults and <TAB> completion
- Auditing mode: review your transactions one by one
- Batch mode (no interactive): for easy integration with scripts
- Easy-going workflow: dreading the behemoth task of importing years of accounting from a single file? Don’t be. Go at your own pace and press <Ctrl+C> to exit anytime. On next run, editing will resume right where you left it.
usage: qifqif.py [-h] [-a] [-c CONFIG] [-o DEST] [-b] QIF_FILE optional arguments: -a, --audit-mode pause after each transaction -b, --batch-mode skip transactions that require user input -c CONFIG, --config CONFIG configuration filename in json format. DEFAULT: ~/.qifqif.json -d, --dry-run dry-run mode: just print instead of write file -o DEST, --output DEST output filename. DEFAULT: edit input file in-place
More infos on the wiki page
qiqif is written for Python 2.7 and is tested on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
Install with pip via pip install qifqif command.
If you’re on Windows and don’t have pip yet, follow this guide to install it.
Please submit bugs and features requests on the Issue tracker.