Coroutine-based network library
gevent is a coroutine-based Python networking library.
- Fast event loop based on libev.
- Lightweight execution units based on greenlet.
- Familiar API that re-uses concepts from the Python standard library.
- Cooperative sockets with SSL support.
- DNS queries performed through c-ares or a threadpool.
- Ability to use standard library and 3rd party modules written for standard blocking sockets
gevent is inspired by eventlet but features more consistent API, simpler implementation and better performance. Read why others use gevent and check out the list of the open source projects based on gevent.
Install Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.3 or 3.4 and greenlet extension.
Read the documentation online at http://www.gevent.org
installing from github
To install the latest development version:
pip install cython git+git://github.com/gevent/gevent.git#egg=gevent
There are a few different ways to run the tests. To simply run the tests on one version of Python during development, try this:
python setup.py build
PYTHONPATH=.. python testrunner.py –config ../known_failures.py
Before submitting a pull request, it’s a good idea to run the tests across all supported versions of Python, and to check the code quality using pep8 and pyflakes. This is what is done on Travis CI. Locally it can be done using tox:
pip install tox